Self-Publishing vs. Traditional Publishing
^I took dis on ma way to work one day ;)
Do you recommend self-publishing or seeking a professional publisher?
For more about the publishing process, check out an infographic I helped with at my old internship, The Life Cycle of a Book.
Pure self publishing basically means you do it by yourself. In the internet age, self publishing has become much easier because authors can manage their publicity themselves with social media, can design their books using templates, and can sell it using tools like PayPal.
However, there are also a ton of companies that will help with your self publishing endeavor “a la carte”. Say you’re designing and copy editing your book yourself, but you need someone to manage your internet presence and build you an author website—there are companies that do just that. Or maybe you need someone just to design and print your book for you—you can hire someone to do only that. There are even “self publishing” companies that do the whole process for you, but you have to pay them to. The a la carte self publishing industry is definitely a booming one.
The pros: The main perk that authors seek when self publishing is higher royalties.
The cons: The biggest con for the people of the world (not the author) about self publishing is that a lot of bullshit crap books get put out into the world and dilute the market. Also, if you use a company to do a piece of the publishing process for you, you may have to front a bunch of money to pay them, or front a bunch of money to produce the book, which you won’t necessarily earn back.
So yeah—that’s the basics. If I ever publish a book, I’d love to be traditionally published—there’s something so romantic about saying, “Ah, yes, Penguin is publishing me, HarperCollins is my publisher, etc.” and the idea of being taken care of. But considering I have a little design experience and, ahem, a sizable web audience, it probably would make more sense for me to at least partially self publish. But I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Again, I’m sorta pulling this all out of my ass from what I learned at my internship like a year and a half ago, and I’m sure some more veteran authors/pub people are going to want to write in and elaborate/correct me/comment, and I’d love if you would—just click here.
The best resource ever for young people who want to know about publishing is Publishing Trendsetter.
Also don’t forget that we’ve had a lot of posts about publishing before, and they’re all tagged publishing.
©Yeah Write! 2012
- greenteaandbrownsugarismoving likes this
- zacharycain likes this
- endlesscontradictions likes this
- iknow11things likes this
- electroniccalligraphy likes this
- thephantomhourglass likes this
- pajamasandearlgrey likes this
- littlegreenwomen likes this
- the-word-is-alive reblogged this from yeahwriters
- aquietvillage likes this
- soundlolgic reblogged this from yeahwriters
- vintagedaydream likes this
- strawberry-lovelies likes this
- a-little-harmed-shinra reblogged this from yeahwriters
- lovelikelighthouse likes this
- amhrancomhrac likes this
- trellicktower likes this
- grantgustinsfreckles reblogged this from yeahwriters
- obliviates likes this
- nicolenoir likes this
- neutralwriting reblogged this from yeahwriters
- duhbitcheslovecake likes this
- anunorthodoxjourney reblogged this from reachandunleash
- therisingtithes likes this
- reachandunleash reblogged this from yeahwriters
- mysocalledgender likes this
- misantropagentile likes this
- stefanycahyadi likes this
- filmfaerie likes this
- thetexasmexican likes this
- exagie likes this
- danlblack likes this
- madamevelyn likes this
- kaydoesthefandomthing likes this
- a-little-harmed-shinra likes this
- pedestrianism likes this
- asiwroteoneday likes this
- apollocontinuum reblogged this from yeahwriters
- dancershorty likes this
- ocular-intercourse likes this
- bedlam-rising likes this
- octopiforlunch likes this
- crayonsandteaparties likes this
- tumblincm likes this
- pavorst likes this
- martart likes this
- janine-louise likes this
- arachne-spun reblogged this from yeahwriters
- annarverold likes this